An Artificial Island
There is a site recorded (GA082-098) in the parish. It is in the townland of Cloonacauneen.
An island, partly or wholly artificial, built up by dumping timber, earth and stones onto a lake or river bed, often revetted with timber piles or a palisade. Derived from the Irish word ‘crannóg’; the Irish word for tree is ‘crann’ and ‘crannóg’ principally means a piece of wood or a structure of wood. These date from the 6th to the 17th century AD.
Additional Information to be found @
All recorded archaeological monuments are protected under the National Monuments Acts 1930-2004. Visitors to monuments on lands in private ownership should request permission from the landowner.